Greetings!

Hi! I'm Crystal - nice to meet you!
I have a business blog for Relax Consulting and a personal blog that focuses on life's events and turning life's lemons into lemonade and features book reviews and guest bloggers/authors. My 'blog dresser' if you will needs another drawer. A drawer where I can store poems, short stories, and other literary works I have written. This way, the 'dresser drawer' that was meant for lemonade thoughts can stay filled with only those thoughts, and similarly, the 'dresser drawer' filled with business information for Relax Consulting will not be bogged down with things that don't belong.

Now that we got that out of the way - enjoy! (and if this isn't what you are looking for, best of luck with your future endeavors and I hope one of my other pages meets your needs)

Luv,
~Crystal

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book Review: A Southern Place by Elaine Drennon Little

Book Review: A Southern Place by Elaine Drennon Little
By Crystal J. Casavant-Otto  

A Southern Place   begins as a beaten and battered young woman is fighting for her life in the ICU. Is that really where it all begins or is it where it ends? Does life begin and end in the same place? I started reading and didn’t want to stop until I had a better understanding of who this young woman was and how she had come to be in such a sad place. Sure, I knew her name was Mary Jane Mullinax and folks called her MoJo, but there had to be more to the story than that. Sherriff Purvis of Dumas County Georgia described Mo Jo and her family as good folds, quiet-like and said there was no one to call. Her mama had died years before and she had never known her daddy. As a reader, I immediately felt I didn’t want to leave her side until she was out of the ICU and on the road to recovery.
Little did I know that A Southern Place would take me back in time to the days when Mo Jo’s grandparents were working the land and the rich Georgia soil. Wherever this story was going, I was going with it. I wanted to know everything about this young girl, her parents, her grandparents, and especially her uncle Calvin (Cal for short). Cal had been important in Mo Jo’s upbringing and I was intrigued by a man who would selflessly sacrifice everything for the sake of his family. Cal had died years before Mo Jo found herself alone and near death in the ICU, but something tells me Mo Jo had the same love for her family that her uncle had. She managed to take quite a beating and somehow protect her unborn child and that just seems like the same sort of family value that Cal showed when he selflessly put everyone else before himself.

Mo Jo and her family hadn’t come from the best of backgrounds, but they were proud. As the story advanced in years, it became clear that the Mullinax family was deeply attached to the land; they worked the land and believed that hard work would win in the end. I found myself cheering them on and as things fell apart I slumped in my chair feeling the same defeat they must have felt as they took out another mortgage and sold off some of their precious land.
Little’s descriptions and understanding of everything from farming to history really made A Southern Place come to life for me. This may be Little’s first published novel, but I certainly hope it won’t be her last. She has a way of bringing her characters to life and her depictions of the south have me longing for a visit. I am curious about peanut plantations as well as intrigued by the author herself – a piano teacher with thirty years’ experience turned author, now that’s something I didn’t see coming! Thank you Elaine Drennon Little for this exceptional book and I do hope to read more from you in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Crystal for that beautiful review! Working on A Southern Place for several years, I got about as attached to the Mullinax family as to my own. (I knew I was in pretty deep when I started literally DREAMING about them.) The background was pretty easy; I grew up on a peanut farm in the very area where the story is set, but the characters and their lives came totally from my imagination. I'm so glad you enjoyed it; my main goal with this book is to attract enough readers that I'll have an audience-base for the next one---and the next, and the next... Thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete