Greetings!

Hi! I'm Crystal - nice to meet you!
I have a business blog for Relax Consulting and a personal blog that focuses on life's events and turning life's lemons into lemonade and features book reviews and guest bloggers/authors. My 'blog dresser' if you will needs another drawer. A drawer where I can store poems, short stories, and other literary works I have written. This way, the 'dresser drawer' that was meant for lemonade thoughts can stay filled with only those thoughts, and similarly, the 'dresser drawer' filled with business information for Relax Consulting will not be bogged down with things that don't belong.

Now that we got that out of the way - enjoy! (and if this isn't what you are looking for, best of luck with your future endeavors and I hope one of my other pages meets your needs)

Luv,
~Crystal

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Official



This is a piece I am considering entering in a flash fiction contest - feel free to leave your thoughts and suggestions in the comments.
XOXO~Crystal



Official

“I wasn’t always the unwanted kid. I remember back when my mom and dad were together. Anyway, yah…um….here’s that book you lent me. It’s official; I’m um switching schools at the end of the week.”
He gave me the news without shedding a tear and set the copy of El Capitan Alatriste gently on my desk. 

Stoic would be the only way to describe his posture, the tone, everything about the conversation. He was on the thin side, but a well groomed, well mannered, clean cut young man. My heart was breaking, but what could I do? I’m just his 6th grade Spanish Teacher. My lips opened to say thank you while my heart screamed ‘come home with me, we will love you, we always wanted a child’. The tears in my eyes must have been evident. He looked at me and shook his head while he tried to explain “This aint no big deal anymore. This will be my seventh placement. Hopefully these people won’t be so old – Ron and Marge just didn’t have a clue … it’s not their fault really …”

I had heard the stories. Nathan, or Nate as they called him had trouble getting along with boys his age, and got along with the girls a little too well. The county had a hard time finding a placement home without other children. This last placement was with a couple in their early 60’s. They didn’t know how to handle someone Nate’s age and they often called the school, agency, or anyone that might listen. They weren’t necessarily complaining; they were looking for direction. Truth was, no one had time for it. Instead of finding a solution, they just moved Nate.

“Nate, I know you’ll find a great place. You’re a smart kid. Just keep the book. Really.”
He took it, lowered his head so all I could see was his thick brown hair. Then he thanked me in perfect Spanish: “Gracias. Eres una persona muy especial. “   (Thank you. You are a very special person).
I was thankful to have prep during the next hour. The classroom would be empty and I could sort through the thoughts and emotions currently doing the bachata dance in the pit of my stomach. We had tried everything before accepting that our four bedroom ranch would never be filled with the pitter patter of little feet. I turned the nursery into a work-out room and went from a size 20 woman who wanted to bake cookies with little children who wanted to lick spoons to the size 6 health nut who spends all her time and money on the right clothes, the right hair, and perfectly matching accessories (not that my husband noticed the change or my unhappiness).  Lee made it quite clear that adoption was not an option. He would divorce me if he knew what was on my mind this afternoon.

I really didn’t know much about Nate. I knew he was a fast learner if the subject interested him. The music teacher down the hall adored him. His math teacher had problems, but from what I could tell, he just didn’t see how algebra would help him in the future. He had confided in me early in the year that it was his dream to travel to New York and star in a Broadway musical. He loved all things artistic and bright; this likely explained why he was drawn to the Spanish culture. He was a joy in my class, but who was I kidding? Our marriage was in ruins, Lee hadn’t been working since his military discharge and back injury, and we had long ago given up on those dreams of parenting.

He never told me what it was about the book that intrigued him. I never told him that it was only the first in a series of books about 13 year old sword for hire Captain Diego Alatriste y Tenorio. I nodded off picturing Diego’s relationship with the famous actress MarĂ­a de Castro … except it wasn’t Diego’s face I saw … it was Nate who found love in Madrid. As my head jerked up with the realization that I was dreaming, I chastised myself for not being more brave and daring like the characters in my head. I didn’t want to carry a sword or change history. I just wanted to approach my husband, but like Captain Diego who was never an official captain, I would never be an official mother.



No comments:

Post a Comment